Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Sunday, October 16, 2005

From Russia, with Very Little Love


This weekend I went out In Character, something I haven’t done since, oh, at least 2002. Going out In Character involves spinning an elaborate and wholly untruthful backstory for yourself and then trying to pass it off as God’s honest truth to various strangers in the night. When you’re in character, you should be a Nurse in a Cosmetic Surgery, or Married to the Mob.

(Why, did you ask? Hm. I’ll get back to you on that one later.)

Tonight’s Theme: My tiny, pretty friend was cast as A Happy Girl from Ile Saint Maurice, while I got the role of Morose Gold-digger from Siberia.

Then came the question of names. After some discussion, we elected…

A) Aurora for my friend, because it would surely bring to mind sunrises on sandy beaches and general holiday brochure jollity. In keeping with this, Aurora was instructed to clap her hands excitedly & giggle at all comments.
B) Mortalia for myself, since it was agreed that it made you think of Russia and death. Mortalia’s brief was to assume sombre & depressed demeanour and answer everything in the negative.

Example:
Q: “Do you like London?”
A: “No.”

Or:
Q: “Are you having fun?”
A: “No.”

At first, this turned out to be astonishingly difficult to keep up. I'm ashamed to say that smiling & prancing like My Little Pony on lithium seem to be ingrained in my DNA. After a while, though, I got the hang of it and started to enjoy Mortalia’s negative vibe.

2 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Karin said...

oooh, how fun!! :) I'll definately try that next time I go out! My boyfriend was once "prince of preussen" for a whole new years eve party, and everyone believed him!!!!!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Excellent! Inventing foreign royalty gets top marks! I bow to your majesty.

PS. If your boyfriend is a prince... then surely that makes you a princess?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home