Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A Mobile Defense

Ten years on, and mobile phones are still tricky when it comes to manners, don't you think?

I suppose we are over the first knee-jerk "thrash Spinning Jenny" response of the mid 90s. Back then, you'd be ostracized for speaking publicly in a mobile phone, at least in Scotland.

"Ponce!" people said with narrowed eyes, as you cowered in a street corner and whispered into the receiver. I remember escaping into public loos with my own first phone (bought by loving parent to keep track of my whereabouts in foreign lands), but then people just thought that you were conversing loudly with yourself in the cubicle.

Now people seem to find it rude to talk on the mobile when you're on the bus, in the coffee shop or on the move in general. I'm not really sure I understand why. When else are you supposed to use your mobile? And yes, sometimes you do utter the dreaded words "I'm on the bus" - because it is the only truthful response to the question: "Where are you?"

3 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I have only just been made aware that my cell-phone addiction is both rude and obnoxious. I learned this through another blog, and now it's been confirmed by yours! I can't bear to cut down on my talk-time. My friends are too funny, and I love to laugh. I guess I will have to be socially unacceptable!

Funny blog as well!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by, Mel! I say - stick with the phone! I'm not going to stop using mine, and I think that I'm doing people a favour - after all, people like nothing better than complaining about others... (Hm, with that attitude I won't have many friend to phone after a while!)

Check out this phone-related post on Not Billable, by the way, it's really funny...

http://notbillable.blogspot.com/

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

Interesting that nobody asks "HOW are you?" on the phone nowadays, they all ask "WHERE are you?". Slightly depressing actually.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home