Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Friday, October 28, 2005

Veni, vidi, mingli

Yesterday’s mingling went reasonably well, in that I wasn’t ejected from the building or speared by a cocktail pin.

I think I might have offended a nice Japanese man, though, with the question:
“Where are you based?”
He looked very surprised. “Pardon?”
“Eh… where are you based?”
“Why do you ask me that?”

And now I was really stumped for an answer. Why on Earth was I asking him that? After all, I wasn’t planning on sending him a Christmas card or flowers or even a strip-o-gram. It just seemed like a fairly harmless conversation opener.

So that involved me in a long and complicated lie about how I’ve always wanted to go to Tokyo and was trying to get tips from people who lived there. I think I left him with the distinct impression that I was fishing for an invitation to sleep on his couch, and shortly afterwards he moved away with a polite bow. Oh well.

Thanks so much for your great suggestions, by the way! I’ll be much more socially competent at my next mingling event (probably ten years from now!). But I have noticed a new mingling difficulty: How do you politely leave somebody?

3 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ha ha! That's so funny! I have put my foot in my mouth like that too. I can't stand those mingling things.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Mel said...

BTW, I am linking you b/c I think you're funny. Hope you don't mind.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

On the contrary Mel, that's really a compliment! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home