Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Monday, October 31, 2005

You're A Big Girl Now


We were all collecting them back then, in 1996 – the year I left Sweden. They were called Grown Up Points.

We had just graduated from high school and being a Grown Up still seemed like a desirable, although slightly far-fetched prospect. I hate to admit it, but we really did squeal things like:

“We are, like, soooo old!”
“Eighteen! You’re an old-age pensioner!”
“My God! I look like a raisin!”


Of course, we could say these things because deep down, we knew that we were still fresh-faced teenagers.


You could accumulate Grown Up Points by doing Grown Up stuff like…

- eat After Eights rather than pick-n-mix candy
- spend time with the Sunday cross-word
- pass one’s driving’s licence
- give Couple’s Dinners
- pay rent.

Believe it or not, but we wore these things like badges of honour. So what happened? Because now we’re boasting about the absolute opposite: being childish.

“Oh, I can’t imagine having kids yet. I’m a kid myself!”
“Yay! Let’s skive!”
“Pension schemes are for Grown Ups.”


Nothing will ever shock me as the realisation, during my last year at university, that the bearded young man next to me was born in the 80s. I really felt something should be done about that. Don’t get me wrong – people can be born in the 80s, if they insist on it. I’m not impossible. They can even play with Tamaguchis and watch Alf on TV, if they want. What they can’t do is have a beard and go to university.

But in the end – what’ so bad about Growing Up? Maybe I should rename this blog Swedish Lady In London. But see, that just sounds bad – and it would get the wrong sort of googles.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

Something is very strange with the generation who was born in the 80s. I've had similar experiences like yours, and I suspect that something is wrong with the water, they kind of skipped at least 15 years and are grown ups way before their time. What can we do about this very serious problem?
*very worried*

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Yes, get back to kindergarten, kids!

We can't have bearded born-in-the-80s guys out there, messing it up for the rest of us.

It's just not on.

Trust me: I'm old.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home