Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Don't Use the C-Word


Doc has cut his hair again.

This is always a bit of a drama - not for Doc himself, of course, who is very businesslike and manly about it. It's I who silently grieve for those beautiful locks.

"If I let it grow, I just look like Ernie from the Muppet Show", Doc says reasonably.

"No, you don't!" I say, and then venture: "You look cute!"

Doc glares sceptically at me.

"Did I say cute?" I start back-pedalling. "I meant cool. Or dangerous. That's it - dangerous!"

But we both know that after the c-word, there is no going back. The crew-cut appears the very next day.

At least, since Doc got a job in the City, he can't do the hooligan trim anymore. Once he turned up at the airport, after a prolonged absence, sporting a diabolical goatie but no hair on his head at all. Since he is also very tall, he looked like a bouncer. He was very pleased with himself, but I could hardly talk to him. It was too upsetting. I kept expecting him to whip out my ID and bark:

"This is not you! What's your star-sign?"

Because, even though it's been some time since I had to sneak into Stockholm's bars on the shaky grounds of a borrowed ID card, the fear never really goes away.

7 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger hanna said...

Ha ha - those were the days...

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

What is böcker??

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

P.S.--Hope it is not anything bad!

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

Oh no, cute is definitely a mistake! I've made that one before. Maybe next time try "insanely attractive" or possibly "just like Brad Pitt/George Clooney/Matthew McConnaughey" (Delete as appropriate, depending on who you find most delicious.) That oughta do it!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Zen, don't worry (hm, sounds like a contradiction in terms, that), böcker just means "books"...

Oh, and it'll have to be Matthew McConnaughy, although I can't pronounce it!

Let's see if it works on Doc...

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Hey--I've been to Sweden, and some of the "books" for sale were not exactly fit for the coffee table!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Oh, I take that as praise.

NO books should be fit for the coffee table...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home