Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hearing Voices

Hanging around London Bridge Mainline Station yesterday, as you do, I discovered that I have a crush on the man reading out the train announcements. He’s got that sort of deep voice combined with an Oxbridge accent that reminds me of Jack Davenport, who used to play Miles on This Life.

The 19.43 to Gatwick Airport will leave from platform five…”

Oh yes, take me with you, Miles! Let’s fly!

But posh, velvety voices aren’t the only ones that I have a soft spot for. Doc’s Scottish is quite cool as well, I have to say. He’s rather smug about it, always reminding me that Scottish is the most trusted accent in the UK – when he doesn’t say "Trust me, I’m a Doctor", that is.

And then there’s Irish! The soft lilt of Edinburgh’s pixie-like barmen!

So far, I haven’t developed the same dewy eyed response to your average London accent, but give me time – soon those “do you know what I mean”-voices will have worked their way into my heart.

I am also still not really convinced by the sort of American voice that ends every sentence on a high note? So they all sound like questions? Even though they are not?

But then again – I really like those female altos you always get on American sitcoms, like CJ off The West Wing or Ros off Frasier. I think I might even trust them more than a Scottish Doctor, but don’t tell Doc that.

7 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I think that the recent American trend to end the sentence in a question comes from the suburban need to "build a consensus..."

"Ya know what I'm sayin'?"

I personally trust the Irish the most...because they are always DRUNK!"

In vino, veritas...

You ESPECIALLY know an Irishman is telling the truth when he says, "It's five inches long."

(For more Irish jokes, stay tuned. They are the only minority we are allowed to make fun of anymore. Once you get a President, we can tell jokes about you with impunity! That's the new rule!)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Curiosa said...

i recently told a guy that i absolutely LOVE sean connery. he was then concerned that i have some kind of an "old thing." i had to assure him that i didn't want to SLEEP with sean connery, all i wanted was for him to read me bedtime stories.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger josephknecht said...

Girls with impish scottish accents. Yay.

I float in middle-of-the-road, middle-class Received Pronunciation land. And I'm a tenor, so the whole shebang becomes annoyingly piercing and a touch whiny, with just a hint of superciliousness.

It's rubbish.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger shellz said...

I WISH we could listen to a few beautiful accents over here in Canada. I'm afraid it's mostly bland, eh? Is it even possible for a Canadian to HAVE an accent?!?!?!

Call me easy, but the second I hear the slightest bit of an European accent, I melt. It all sounds so terribly exotic to me...

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Sean Connery has got the weardesht acshent - it must be what Scottish people sound like when they try to not sound Scottish.

Hey Joseph - it seems that you've got a Talking Clock voice! That's lovely.

Shellz, I love the Quebec accent in French! I know people always take the mickey out of it, but I just really like it, t'sais?

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

Curiosa, the Connery Bedtime Stories ... aaaaaw, I want that! Sean Connery is an old man now, but his voice ... ooooh!!!

And John Hannah ... I have tapes with him reading Byron, ooooh ... again.

I'm expressing myself rather primitively today.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Somebody pointed out that Edinburgh is in Scotland. Hmph, I know that! But all barmen are Irish. Or Aussie.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home