Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

In My Shoes

I have got a shoe crisis. It isn’t the usual one, where one of your heals suddenly falls off and leaves you limping all the way home with “Vanity Shall Be Punished” tattooed across your forehead. This is gym-shoe related, believe it or not.

When I renewed my membership at the gym last week, the girl in the reception told me that I would get three one-on-one introductory sessions for free. I suppose it is a little insulting that they think I need an introductory session after a year’s membership, but considering the time I flew off the treadmill (sad but true), I couldn’t really argue.

“Oh, I’m not sure that I want an introductory session,” I only tried weakly.
But it’s for free!”

Since I didn’t have the heart to tell her that it wasn’t the money that was bothering me, I am scheduled for my first appointment with personal trainer Ben tomorrow. I have seen him around in the gym before. He does a terrifying routine involving a very large ball, sort of like those bouncy ones with antennae that were around back in the 80s.

The thing is, I just remembered that my gym shoes are still languishing chez la Señorita. They have been gathering dust there since we played tennis in Battersea Park in June, to be precise. So now I have to meet Ben while wearing those sorts of leather sneakers that are marketed as retro, as in harking back to the days when sport meant a brisk walk in the park, or possibly a spot of croquet on the lawn. You know, those days when any garment not featuring a corset was deemed suitable for physical exertions.

Oh well.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Why is BOWLING the only "sport" wear you "rent shoes"??

Do they take old bowling shoes to Dr. Shoal's labratory for analysis??

It would seem a ripe and fertile ground for cross-cultural foot fungus analysis. (I.e., there would seem to be a plethora of different strains of fungi.)

 
At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

I HAVE SEEN THAT TERRIFYING ROUTINE! A personal trainer called Tim at my gym goes it too. They must go to some sort of Personal Trainer School where they're given big bouncy balls in lieu of textbooks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home