Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Modern Persuasion


Would you mind awfully if I indulged in a bit of tiresome Battle of the Sexes Rhetoric? I promise to keep it brief.

The battlefield: The dusty floor area just in front of the DVD player.
What's at stake: Chosing how to best spend two hours of a rainy Wednesday evening.
Weapons of choice: BBC adaptation of Persuasion versus gory film Se7en.

Doc (looking like he's really cottoned on to something, when in actual fact He and The Point are about as far removed as the Earth and Pluto): "Aha! See, you pretend to be this emancipated Swedish woman, but really, you just want to get married."
Me (scowling): "What's that got to do with anything? Gimme back my DVD!"
Doc (getting into pseudo-scientific swing): "But Persuasion is all about this woman who finally gets her man down the aisle, right? It's all about marriage and nice frocks."

Now, I said one of the following:

A) "So what? Just because it's about a woman getting married, it doesn't mean that's my secret dream. You want to watch Se7en, right? Does that mean that you want to cut off Gwyneth Paltrow's head and put it in a box?"

or

B) "Awww. Grrr. Ouch. Oh, all right then, let's watch your movie."

But which one? Well, I'll let that remain shrouded in mystery.

11 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Scott Lord said...

What i would be interested in particular is how couples are seen in Swedish Films. Do you like the films of Edvin Adolphson?

Scott Lord

scottlord

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

C) F**k off, Austen is CULTURE, Se7en is not.

Could work ..?

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I can't decide whether to rent "Pricilla Queen of the Desert" or "Too Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar."

I know I want to drive across a continent in drag, I just can't decide between Australia and North America...

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

D) "Why the hell do you want to watch a film that can't even put a "v" where there's supposed to be a "v"? At least Persuasion doesn't have any auxiliay numbers in the title!"

That said, I hope it was B.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

God, I was using such a good word like AUXILIARY and in my excitement to type it, I spelled it wrong.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Wow, Edvin Aldophson! I didn't realise that he had achieved international fame...

And I'm in agreement on the V-issue! Though I can hardly talk, coming from a country that thought it was cool to reverse the B in ABBA...

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I think reversing the "B" in ABBA was to increase the "palindrome" effect, which is debatably clever.

Also, you can read their tour bus vanity license plate in your rear view mirror...as you are driving across the continent in drag...with some pilfered fecal matter of one of the ABBA singers in your keepsake chest...

Okay, "Pricilla" it is, I just decided...

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Scott Lord said...

We'll fight for him (Edvin Adolphson) to the biter death here in the Untied States.


Victor Sjostrom directed one film in England before returning to Sweden, Under The Red Robe. I'd ask you about Anders Hendrikson but he might not be as famous.
Thanks for the reply.
Alska,
Scoot

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger littlemissme said...

I certainly hope you said the first...and then mentioned that it's not as if Se7en is even a remotely good film, whereas any Jane Austen flick at least has literary merit on its side.

Hmph.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Curiosa said...

i must ask, do you find British men to be as confusing as i find swedish guys to be? ;) but i guess it seems you've already found yours...

i found your blog off of Fröken J, and i must say it has beene fun to read the last few days. i just decided to create my own blogspot site, since i mistakenly gave the address to some of the men who give me fodder for my ramblings.

just thought i'd say hi!

an american in stockholm

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Thanks for your support on the Austen front, girls!

And thanks for stopping by, Curiosa - I look forward to reading your musings on Swedish guys!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home