Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Monday, November 14, 2005

Oh, Pod Off!

"What used to be the first thing you checked out in a guy's flat?" Pingu asked me the other day.
"Oh, easy. His record collection."
"Exactly!" Pingu stabbed her chop-stick in my general direction. "But those days are over, pet."
"Oh, I suppose we're a bit more mature nowadays," I said hesitatingly. "We don't judge people by their music taste anymore."
"Oh, rubbish! Would you date someone who likes James Blunt?"
"Well, no... but Doc does have a penchant for Scottish folk-rock Runrig..."
"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," Pingu said. "Anyways, my point is that record collections are disappearing. It's all I-Pods now. People have got their music downloaded and hidden away in their computers."
"Hm." I stole a deep-fried shrimp from Pingu's plate. "You're right."
"Of course I am. So what are we supposed to do now when we snope around people's places? How are we supposed to judge if people are sane or not?"
She was definitely on to something. "Yikes! So guys might be hiding Shakira collections and novelty rap in the computer, where we can't see it!"
"I know!"
"Thank God I'm not dating anymore."

9 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

My brother totally does this! 98% of the music on his iPod is good music, stuff that he'd like to think would show girls his superb taste. But he has this one file he's called The Ghosts (pretending like they're a real band) and if you click on that, you'll see that it hides all the songs he's too embarassed to put on display.

So if a boy called Tom in Dublin ever shows you his music collection, say "oh, The Ghosts! What are they like?" and then open the file. And then laugh.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Raquel Laneri said...

Yes, James Blunt is awful.

I think Rob from High Fidelity is spot-on when he says, "It's not what you're like; it's what you like that counts."

This goes for movies too, I could never date anyone who hated Rushmore for instance. When my boyfriend told me that that was his favorite movie (before we started dating) I knew he was a keeper!

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Curiosa said...

Oj jo jo. I think one of my moments of triumph had to be the time I pulled my colleague's headphones out of the computer when I knew he was listening to "I'm A Barbie Girl." The whole office had a good laugh at that one when Aqua started blaring from his desk. (And trust me, he deserved it.)

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

Oh my God. I haven't even thought about that. Scary ... What are we supposed to do now? Check the fridge or something?!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Curiosa said...

I wouldn't want anyone to judge me based on what's in my fridge!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

The Ghosts - brilliant! Maybe I should try to disguise my Vanessa Paradis collection in the same way?

Because of course it’s OK for us to hide any embarrassing slips in musical taste, as long as others don’t! This rule can be applied to most situations in life, I find.

Oh, and go Bill! And go Revenge of the Barbie Girl

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Khimaera said...

Oh no! You've figured it out!
'Pressing delete as I'm typing'
Mandy - Gone
Bootylicious - Gone
Dirrty - Gone
P.I.M.P -Gone

Phwee, that was a close one.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Kontorsmyran said...

Man får chansa helt enkelt, eller använda sig av diverse psykologiska experiment.

Finns en som jag alltid använder.
Man ber de svara det första de tänkte på när du säger något.

T.ex:
Jag: Röd
De: Tomat

Jag: Bil
De: Volvo

Favoritgrupp:
De: Backstreet Boys

Och sen tackar man och går.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Look at the box of his condoms--If it says, "Genuine Sabertoothed-Tigerskin," and the expiration date is followed by, "Before Common Era," you'll know you don't have much competition!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home