Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Then You'll Sing a Different Tune

As I stomped through my early teens in a pair of tartan Doc Martens, there was only one belligerent question to ask potential partners in delinquency:

"Do you like Janis Joplin?"

If the answer was "Never heard of her", the guy would immediately be filed away under "close but no cigar".

My sister trailblazed through Cool Musicdom, and I adoringly followed. Early Blur, Motown, Beetles... People had to know, or go.

But do we still use that convenient shorthand?

[Pause to stare Carrie Bradshaw-esque into space.]

Blogging about i-pods made me realise how ill-suited I am myself to any such musical scrutiny these days. Nestling among respectable old favourites are a new breed of CDs, bought at various Russian markets both near & far. Their backs (mis-)spell out Gwen Steffan* and Chicago! The Musicall - because, all of a sudden, all I want is a jolly tune to rock my rockin-chair to.

So what's that sound? It's not the beat of a White Stripe drum. It's a ghostly pair of tartan Doc Martens, rattling ever further into the past.

*She ain't no halibut girl.

4 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger josephknecht said...

Don't worry. None of us are as cool as we once (thought we) were.

It'll only get worse... One day you'll find yourself, sat in a cardigan in a comfortable chair, listening to the 2020's equivalent of Starsailor, and hating yourself. The only bonus will be that your music pisses your kids off :-)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Yay! Actually it sounds quite nice. Now where's the tea-cosy?

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Brian Kunath said...

Ah, I remember buying my first pair of Docs in 1992, at Trash and Vaudeville on St. Marks, then going to see the Smashing Pumpkins at Roseland.

How far removed am I from that time? I don't even understand half of what I said!

halibut girl. haha.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Halibut girl....I am dying!!

I don't know how I missed that i-pod post. So very true. At this point in my dating career (and apparently, it IS a career) I have loosended up my criteria. I could deal with a guy who listened to Shakira (maybe) if he did't have a nasty dirty bathroom with black- ringed tub. That's my barometer. I don't think cool applies as much after 30. Does he do housework?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home