Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Monday, November 07, 2005

To Market, To Market!

Anyone for some moules marinières and fresh scallops, followed by a kumato salad drenched in posh olive oil? Those are the dishes that will supposedly grace our dinner table tonight, ladies and gentlemen. (While the TV blasts out Top Gear.)

See, the lure of Borough Market proved to much for us this weekend. All that delicious, funny-looking food! The fresh chicken burgers! The smoothies!

“You can never have too much cheese,” Doc said and purchased a parmesan chunk bigger than a king-sized pizza.

“Or weird preserves”, I added, investing in some cloudberry & whisky marmelade, while Señorita Mas Fina and Football Boy stocked up on sausages and Lanarkshire Blue.

So now our fridge is bursting with organic, fresh produce.

Hang on, what was that? ”But Borough market is on Saturdays,” did you say? “And today is Monday.”
"Shush!"
“Why haven’t you already cooked what you bought?”
"Er… "
“Be honest now, what did you eat yesterday?”
“Chinese take-away.”

6 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger josephknecht said...

I love Borough Market. Have you tried the giant £1 brownies? They're incredible. IN-credible.

Mmmmmmm.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Irene Done said...

Every Sunday night I set out the trash and each unused, once fresh bag of produce I have to throw away is a nagging reminder that I once again failed to cook. I have such good intentions!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger shellz said...

Ha ha. Totally know how you feel. I live 2 blocks from the biggest fresh market in Toronto...and not only have I rarely entered, on the rare occasions that I do, I've run out screaming as fast as I can. To the McDonald's 1 block away!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Léonie said...

Oh! The brownies. I think that I've only ever actually bought eat-then-and-there food from Borough market. Oh God it's so good.

I can very much understand how one might well get carried away with entertaining delirious fantasies of delicious feasts whilst wandering around.

Chinese takeaway is nice, too, though. Don't beat yourself up.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger The Pale Green Woman said...

"“You can never have too much cheese”

I agree. And wave my hands just like Wallace does when he is excited about cheese.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Hey, it's good to hear I'm not the only fresh produce-aware person out there!

Brownies - defo have to try those out. Much more realistic prospect really.

But I have to tell you that Doc DID cook those scallops in the end! What I did? Oh, I ate them. Well done me.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home