Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Saturday, November 05, 2005

What A Glorious Feeling

Rise out of your coffins, children of the night, we've flip-flopped our way safely through summer and arrived, finally, to this wonderful season of rain, mist and wind.

I do love autumn, and shopping with Señorita Más Fina yesterday only served to remind me of this fact. After all, no bikini will ever make you feel as good about yourself as a big, furry Anna Karenina hat. I just have to hear the satisfyingly martial click of an umbrella being opened, and I feel like I belong in this world again.


(Vaguley related anecdote: I really have to buy a new umbrella, though. Doc is unreasonably reluctant to carry the bright pink one that I'm using at the moment. In Regent's Park the other week, his chivalry only extended to holding it as long as no-one else was in sight. The minute a distant dog-walker appeared, he shoved it back into my hand and tried to dis-associate himself from its pinkness as much as possible.

"This is ridiculous," I hissed. "You're about half a metre taller than me. I look like Mary Poppins brandinshing the umbrella like this."
"Not half a metre. 30 centimetres. And you don't look like Mary Poppins."
"You're just saying that."
"You look like a crazy tour-guide."
"Hmpf.")

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger josephknecht said...

gah... cold cold world.

Though there is something satisfying about wearing huge overcoats, dealing with the tube is horrible - there's nothing worse than coming out of the cold dressed in 73 layers of jumper and then cramming yourself onto an underground carriage that is hideously warm and full of wet people wearing too many clothes. Bleurgh.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger littlemissme said...

Heh, reminds me of the epic Diaper Bag Battle of 2004. I wanted pink stripes, he wanted black minimalism. I won, but he wouldn't carry it. Ever.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home