Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Monday, December 05, 2005

Hey Ho

GRUMPY
Right in my weekend Christmas shopping, I got caught in an anti-global warming demonstration that progressed solemnly along Piccadilly Street. Really, those environmentalists… is it quite necessary to get in everybody’s way like that? Some people are so selfish.

I had to join the march for about a minute to cut across diagonally to the other side of the street and suddenly felt very conspicuous in heels and leather gloves, brandishing shopping bags instead of dye-tied, home-made banderols. But come on, people – is
it necessary to look like a Tolkien troll just because you are environmentally friendly? What are you trying to make, an impact or a fashion statement?



HAPPY
By Green Park, a white limo jam-packed with thirteen-year old girls glided up to general uproar. Aw, bless! Wee girls high on life and attention – I love that.

And I overheard a real mushroom-helmeted bobby tell a tourist in a very slow & very loud voice: “V-e-r-y l-o-n-g w-a-y, v-e-r-y l-o-n-g w-a-y.”

5 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger josephknecht said...

I was in that parade!

No, I'm lying.

I was at home, tanning tiger-skin over an outdoor gas heater.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Irene Done said...

Do you ever read Glenn Reynolds? He has a theory that when it comes to activism or social upheavel, the side with the best-looking girls will always prevail. He calls them protest babes (http://instapundit.com/archives/022694.php).

So the Tolkien troll look would seem to be a losing proposition.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I hate it when those global warming activists slow you down!

All I want to do is take a purposeless joy ride in my new HUMVEE, and burn 9 miles per gallon of premium through a "NO CRUISING"-zone.

And then I come to a street closed for a protest parade! AGAINST global warming! I've got property in Needles, California that I am planning on turning into an ocean-front resort someday!!

I just put it in neutral, rev the engine a few times, and watch the gas gauge go down.

I figure I melted about ten cubic feet of polar ice cap right there.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

It says something about the stress levels provoked by Christmas shopping around Regent Street when even those mild-mannered hippies protesting against global warming can make me so grumpy...

Of course, I realise that if I really want girls in high heels tottering about in the parade, I should just join it myself...

...which, actually, I did for about 60 seconds! Enough to protest against Zen's engine-revving perhaps?

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger hen said...

Well that is one thing you can say about the police in London - they may shoot the occasional Brazilian but at least they are friendly to tourists so we don't have to be.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home