Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mi Casa Es Su Casa

Aurora has officially become a grown-up – she has bought her first flat! (I feel an exclamation mark is justified.) It’s in North London and it isn’t ex-local authority, despite her estate agent’s best efforts.

In the time-honoured role of admiring friend, I was there yesterday to inspect it and drink a bottle of wine.

“I’m buying furniture after Christmas,” Aurora said and produced an upside down wine box as a chair. ”I’m only little, so I can probably get some cheap stuff at The Early Learning Centre. You know, something plastic in funkadelic colours.”

We both agreed that that would be a clever post-modern tribute to retro 60s design.

The discovery that the previous owner had left his cactus collection in the bedroom disconcerted Aurora, though. She surveyed them morosely and whispered to me: “Don’t say it aloud, but they’re going to die soon.”

“Cactus thingamajigs never die,” I told her, which I knew for a fact ever since I did my best to finish off an ugly old tumour-looking one of Doc’s. It seemed to thrive on my neglect, and was just as happy when I tried to drown it in water. Aurora wasn’t convinced, however.

“I always kill plants,” she muttered.


"They even deliver to the door."


Then we corked open the wine and started making plans for the interior design that Louis XIV would have found a tad extravagant. Aurora waved around with the wine-glass to show where everything would go – “those funny Ikea light-fixtures would look great there and then I want an enormous sofa there” – while I oohh’ed and aahhh’ed diligently. By the time the wine bottle was finished, we were talking about colour schemes that sounded like a tour of Italy (Occra, Tuscany yellow, Magenta).

When I came home, our own rented place started to look a bit haphazard. Soon, soon, I’ll one the one to kill cacti and sit on a wine box.

5 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger josephknecht said...

*Gibbers with fear at prospect of growing up*

I don't want to buy a flat. I wouldn't trust myself with it. I'd probably lose it down the back of the sofa or something.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger hen said...

Wow it wasn't actually in Angle but didn't cost the debt of small African country was it?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Curiosa said...

i went into the florist and told her, "jag behöver nånting som jag inte kan döda."

to which she replied, "do you overwater, or underwater?"

"water? i don't water at all."

he's still alive, and his name is "hardy."

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Joseph - I know what you're on about... I am still not sure whether buying After Eight mints is not a bit too grown-up.
Hen - well, a bit north of Angel... more Golder's Green... probably costs the GNP of the Faroes.
Curiosa - but do you think the florist would have given me advice on how to KILL that ugly plant? It might be breaking a florist's oath, or something. (Vilken fin svenska!!)

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

My mother once placed a cactus for decoration on the bathroom sink. And when I bent over to wash my face - BAM! Cactus needles in my FOREHEAD. Because I'm an IDIOT.

So my advice is just not to relocate the cactus anywhere you might not notice it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home