Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Friday, January 13, 2006

Did I Mention Barcelona?

Although conferences are usually about as colourful as a bottle of complimentary Evian mineral water, I am getting all excited about going to the one in Barcelona. Somehow, I imagine that gritty glamour of Las Ramblas will lend a shine even to the air-conditioned, name-tagged No Man’s Land that is corporate networking.

Besides, I’m there as a reporter this time, and we all know that those have a Superman-given right to be cute-but-gutsy Lois Lane types, instead of having to approach flocks of suits, business card clasped in sweaty little palm and an uncertain smile sliding all over the place.

Not that I have anything against suits. Doc is a typical suit, for instance, and looks rather dapper with it, too. But I can’t for the life of me feel like one of them. It’s the bellowing laughter that trips me up – my meek larynxes are unable to produce the right Santa Claus-ish hoo hoo – and if you can’t bellow laugh, you won’t last long among the suits. My giggles would immediately mark me out as a beta member of the flock.

To be perfectly honest, assuming a cute-but-gutsy Lois Lane persona might also be a bit beyond me, but in the end, who cares?

I mean, did you not hear where I’m going? Barcelona!

5 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger hen said...

I took a distant skateboarding 19 year old American cousin and his girlfriend to Barcelona when I lived quite near there. "What do you of the place?" I asked. "It fucking rocks" he said. And you know what? He was right.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Barcelona. Cool. Or warm. Depends what time of year you go.

I'm guessing cool just now.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Barcelona is a really cool town!

Have fun and don't get too much sun all at once!!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Loud and clear!! :)

Before I went to Barcelona, a friend kept telling me that the place "oozes sex appeal" so obviously my expectations was of gorgeous people. I get there around a public holiday, and all the beutiful people must have gone away! I'll never let him forget it, but I loved the city, the food, the architecture and deciphering Catalan!

Have a fabulous time!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I must concur that I did not find the people that great looking.

Maybe they mean if you go with someone you are already attracted to, they will be more attractive because it is a romantic city.

Sort of like Savannah, Georgia.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home