Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Friday, January 06, 2006

Hommous Souks

I’m sorry to continue my real-estate obsession (what is all that about?), but today it’s precisely a year since we moved into our flat. During these 365 days, I have…

1) ... located the nearest chocolate machine, which is ironically enough placed in the downstairs gym. Only after enduring a walk of shame in front of taut, tanned, hawk-eyed gym instructors are you allowed your Kit Kat break. I fear Ben is disappointed with me.


2)... done something worrying to the marble floor in the bathroom. It now looks more Trainspotting than Savoy. Oh well, you can’t really expect a plebeian like myself to know what to do with marble floors.


3)... had at least four near-death experiences involving red wine and the white suede dining chairs. Again: plebeian me + white unwashable surfaces = disaster vibes of Titanic proportions.

In other words, it’s time to have a house-warming party.

“Why did we not have one before?” I asked Doc.
“Because whenever we have parties you go nuts and make hommous and want to buy little china bowls to put the hommous in,” Doc explained reasonably.
“That was only once,” I said, “and besides, people liked the hommous.”
“They liked it at four o’clock at night on New Years’ Eve. You could have served them elk dung and they would have liked it.”

This (his own hilarious joke) triggered some train of association in Doc’s mind, leading to a comparison between hommous and elk dung, which I will spare you.

Anyway, the party will go ahead this time, although there seems to be some discrepancy between my ideas for it and Doc’s. Two large boxes of beer have appeared on the balcony and a large Scottish flag is draped over the computer, for example – probably to keep the tone as far away from hommous in little china bowls as possible.

“Maybe we could have little fairy-lights everywhere and put lots of cushions on the floor and make it into a souk,” I suggested yesterday, pretending not to notice this outburst of Caledonian pride.

“You're obsessed with souks and weird finger food,” Doc said. “People want beer. That’s what’s going to make them happy.”
“Of course they can have beer,” I said. “People drink beer in souks.”
“No, they don’t. They drink tea.”
“We can have a water-pipe.”
“Oh God.”

7 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger hen said...

One of the obvious dangers of talking about pending parties on your blog is you get people leaving comments like - "can I come?"

Hmm... can I come?

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Suggestion for marble floors--

With an old toothbrush and some Clorox, get on your knees like a charwoman and brush the crevices.

Still look like $h!t??

Of course!

But now it SMELLS like BLEACH!! (And you never liked those pants you just ruined ANYWAY!!)

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Hommous, souks and water pipes sound like a great party theme! But I'd serve tea in lieu of alcohol...

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Irene Done said...

"People want beer. That’s what’s going to make them happy.” -- an enduring truth, that.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Mel said...

I like hommous. A party is not a party without it. And beer...that too.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Hen - I fear that if you read my next post, you'll come up with some excuse like "I'd love to come but I'm washing my marble floors in the way Zen Wizard suggested, so I just can't..."
Zen - Doc did something with candle wax, which is slowly turning green.
Chickybabe - Glad to hear someone is on my side!
Irene and Mel - Doc is glad that some people are on HIS side!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

I LOVE hommous, especially homemade. I would be so happy to see that at a party.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm jealous that you have easy access to chocolate machines, which probably include the elusive and delicious Cadbury Flake.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home