Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Life In The Undergrowth

I seem to have sunk into the day-glo world of DVD box-sets. Expecting your quirky jokes to end with a boiinngg! sound effect must be a sign of watching too much Scrubs, for instance.
*

But that’s the insidiousness of TV. We are all slaves to mother HBO (or auntie BBC), aren’t we?

*

After all, who could blame you for wanting a Central Perk life, instead of your average London network of friends who all have to traverse great distances on public transport to meet up in a crowded pub, where they won’t even find a seat – never mind a sofa – and have to stand elbowing each other by the glass collection area?

*

Or maybe you’d rather West Wing it, although that means that you are not allowed to talk to people unless you are busily walking down a corridor. This can be a bit tricky in the average workspace. I don’t think it would take me more than four seconds to walk over to the water cooler, passing the photo-copier and the Reuters wire at mid-point. That definitely would not give me enough time to regale my interlocutor at great speed with intricate facts about the state of the world, rounding it all off with an urbane quip.

*

Lord Of The Rings Syndrome also offers some logistical problems. Telling people that you are desperately searching for a ring can make guys eye you with suspicion.

*

In the end, I think I will have to go with the Patron Saint of BBC-ness, David Attenborough. All they ever do in his series is eat, sleep, mate. It sounds like a restful, uncomplicated lifestyle that should guide me through the scary 4D world out there.

4 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger hen said...

You should try saying you are desperately seeking a ring if you are a man. People get the wrong idea altogether - especially if you are in Soho. boiinngg!

But yeah a life of eating, shagging and sleeping seems the best out of the options.

Happy Year New by the way.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I hate the way they talk in those rapid-fire monotones (and Heaven forbid you would ever SIT DOWN and talk, like us plebeians!) on the West Wing--

Like it's just "business as usual" when you find a dead intern with semen on her face under the President's desk, or there is a dirty bomb in a bus locker somewhere in Manhattan...

Because they are so COOL, and stuff...

And I AM SO SURE that NOBODY EVER DOES ANY FUNDRAISING FROM THE OVAL OFFICE.

THEY never have to! NO WAY! Because they're LIBERAL DEMOCRATS!! They are MORALLY PURE AND RIGHTEOUS!!

Does the name "Al Gore" ring any bells???

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Irene Done said...

David Attenborough sounds like a wise choice. I recently spent time with Battlestar Galactica DVDs and while it's my favorite show, it did give me a "What does it matter, the world is ending" mindset that depressed me for days. Then I got the Partridge Family DVD set and after just a few minutes of it, I feel great!

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

Ugh, the worst would be living in an episode of Dawson's Creek. All those 15 year olds with super-impressive vocabularies, constant self-questioning, and never-ending rapid-fire witty banter? I'd shoot myself.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home