Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Thinking Outside The Inbox

Stumbling into the office this morning with a cough that sounded like a sergeant major drilling cadets inside an oil barrel, I was met by two very different e-mails:

1. The Scary E-mail
"It's time you went to the dentist", a close family member informed me. (Oh, all right then, it was my mother, if you have to know.) She knows a bit of tough love is needed when it comes to me & the person wielding the drill.

I never used to be scared of the dentist. I associated it with fluffy things like bookmarks of angels resting on clouds. But then I got my first cavity.

"We should probably drill a little bit", my dentist told me, a hitherto mild-mannered lady and dispenser of said bookmarks.
"Oh, all right," I trilled in my innocence.
"It's only a small cavity, so I suppose you'll be fine withouth anaesthetics?" (Observe the leading question.)
"Will it hurt?" I asked stupidly.
"Oh no," she said, forgetting to add "not if you compare it to natural childbirth or forceful conversion to Christianity in Medieval Spain".
"Go on, then."

About 30 seconds later, I was re-thinking this position. "Play dead" was obviously a popular survival technique in extreme situations (coming across a grizzly bear or similar). Maybe I should adopt it? After all, if I had passed away, I wouldn't need dental care anymore and she would stop drilling.

Next time I go, I'll demand to be injected with heroin between my toes before I even get into the chair.

2. The Exciting E-mail
"The reporter going to the Barcelona conference is Swedish Girl," an e-mail from my editor informed me.

Barcelona!

4 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Magnetic Mary said...

Bombastic city! Ever been there? You'll love it!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger wordgirl said...

Never been there, but it does sound fabulous.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Yay!!!! You'll love Barcelona!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Thanks! I believe I will!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home