Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Who Is Piglet?

Ghostly whispers of days gone by have come back to haunt me, immortalised in some belligerent scribblings in a note-pad I just found.

The thing is, I lost my voice for a whole week back in April, and had to communicate with the world (i.e. Doc) via pen & paper. It feels very old-school in a world of text-messaging, doesn’t it? You’d expect me to get out my quill and compose some sonnets, wouldn’t you?

Or maybe not.

Anyway, it was a bit disconcerting to come face to face with my own conversation like that. I seem to be a grumpy little creature.

What about this tirade, for instance: “I’ve been organising, ironing, hoovering, cooking, unpacking basically all day – and all you can do is badmouth Piglet!”

First of all, this doesn’t sound like me at all.

Cooking? Yes, I can picture that, at a push, if you use the term quite broadly and include tapping your foot while waiting for the micro-wave to go pling. Organising? You mean chuckling over print-outs of ancient e-mails for five hours and then squeeze everything else into an IKEA box? Sure.

But hoovering? Or even more preposterously – ironing?

Most importantly, though – who on Earth is Piglet and why did Doc badmouth him?

13 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Arabella said...

I don't know what I would do without Ikea.

When I sort through old phone message memo pads, I frequently see names and phone numbers, in my handwriting, and I have no clue who these people are, but apparently I used to speak to them on the telephone.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I think he means the "Winnie the Pooh" character.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Here's a "Poohshunality test" to see if he's right:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/poohsonality/poohsonality.html

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger hanna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger hanna said...

Hej hej, ville bara säga att jag tycker att du skriver helt fantastiskt, brukar sitta här och bli helt fascinerad av din stilistik. Du får gärna höra av dig ifall du känner för att träffas någon gång.

Och skaffa ditt ett email där dina fans kan nå dig på kvinna!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I just put "Piglet" into Google and it came up with more than 4.5 million pages. There may be quite a lot of Piglets out there that it could've been!

My guess is the Winnie the Poh character though . . .

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Nothing But Bonfires said...

I don't know why it's so funny to imagine you scribbling that furiously (it must be hard to be angry and only have a PEN to express your displeasure rather than, say, the ability to SHOUT AT PEOPLE) but it totally is. At least I hope you wrote it all in caps. With many exclamation marks afterwards.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Yup...he comes from Pooh. Can't go wrong with Pooh. Or Piglet for that matter!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Ironing? I haven't done that in years!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Arabella - glad to hear someone else is like me...
Zen - I thought so too at first, but now I'm leaning towards a postcard of a post-modern pig that I bought at Tate Modern, and that Doc dislikes intensely for some reason. What's wrong with post-modern pork?
Hanna - tack, vad glad jag blev!! E-mail, kan man ha såna moderniteter på bloggen? Det får jag fixa... det vore skoj att mötas upp! Lära mig lite mer om hur man kastrerar hundar och förlöser kalvar och så där.
Steve - aha, research! I like it!
Bonfires - you're right, it IS a funny picture... angry exclamation marks correct and present, I'm happy to say.
Brooke - exactly. How can you badmouth piglet? Doc is evil.
Chickybabe - now that's my kinda chicky.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger hanna said...

alltså om jag lyckades installera email på min sida så borde även du fixa det, gå in på edit profile på dashboard. Min email hittar du under min profil. Och visst kan jag ge dig en snabbkurs i kastrering, inga problem!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I also think he's using "Piglet" as a sort of an "affectionate diminutive," the way I might call my girlfriend "munchkin," "Smurfette," "Snuggy-Wuggy," "Evita Peron," "Gidget the Midget," etc.

(Well, the last one is because that was her STAGE NAME, but you get the idea...)

Or, as we say back in the 'hood, "She's my shorty."

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Well, if Doc was actually referring to ME when he said piglet, I think he's lucky he got away with just some angry exclamation marks...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home