Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Auld Acquaintance


What is it about meeting up with old friends that puts your life in such sharp relief?

A round of panicky last minute e-mailing had gathered a troupe of my best uni friends in a chrome-gleaming restaurant one quite undecently cold January night in Madrid (I feel cheated. Spain is supposed to warm).

"You look exactly the same!" Tiny Dancer told me. In a way, this is of course reassuring. It means that at least my face hasn't hardened into a leathered mask, a la Brigitte Bardot after all those days frolicking sans sun screen in St Tropez.

In another way, it is ever so slightly depressing. Does this mean I have the same eager-beaver demenour displayed in all those over-exposed party shots that I keep in fond rememberance of the baccanalia of youth? I'm all home-made haircut and misguided earrings in those photos, and look like I just arrived to the big city from a childhood planting potatoes back at the farm.

Somehow I hoped that a-little-bit-jaded-but-sexy-with-it persona would have developed over the years. After all, I am twenty eight now.

But no such luck.

"Have you shrunk?" another puzzled friend asked me.
"No, don't be silly," I retorted in my best schol-marm fashion, although I was privately alarmed. (Surely not? And I was wearing wedge heals.)

By the end of the night, Cute Freak pensively said: "You never used to get drunk off one gin and tonic."
"Oh, I'm not drunk," I told her teary-eyed. "Have I told you that you are my bestest friend?"
"Taxi!" Cute Freak said.

So that's it. I'm as goofy as ever, only shorter and more easily intoxicated.

Oh - had my friends changed, did you ask? Ach, don't be silly. They were exactly the same.

7 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Morris said...

It sounds like you are having a panic attack!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Lucky said...

What is it that Joan Cuzak says in Gross Point Blank?

"they were all the same, it was just as if everybody had swelled."

I saw dear old friends this weekend, and I was very glad to see how little they had changed.

And I thought for sure their souls would have been crushed by the weight of the world by now....

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Lucky said...

Doh, that's Cusack! Cusack! Oh well....

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous mia said...

I have always wondered where "auld" comes from... Is it another way of writing "old" or what is it!?

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Your right, lucky - we don't want our friends to change, even though we might want to change ourselves...

Mia - yup, I think "auld" is old in Scots...

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger TheLondonGuy said...

Being a Scot myself, I can confirm without a shadow of doubt that Auld is Scots for Old.

Not only that but Auld Acquaintance is a lyric from Auld Lang Syne by Scots poet Robert Burns.

So there!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Rocío said...

ok, I honestly tell you i became a swedishgirlinlondon-holic! i love the way you write! it's a pleasure to read everything you write. it's fresh, it's hilarious, intelligent and smart. thanks for these moments of pleasure reading! MIL BESOS! : )

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home