Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Bloody Valentine

You can run, you can hide, but you can’t escape my love”, Spanish crooner Enrique Iglesias warned us a couple of years back, sounding like the sort of very persistent gentleman who would probably end up wrapping his reluctant beloved in a bin-liner.

And much in the same way, you can run, you can hide, but you can’t escape Valentine’s Day.

Last weekend I held forth at length about the preposterousness of Valentines, if I remember correctly. For instance, I think I protested against the sudden prevalence of rotund teddies. Rotund teddies were everywhere! Inspiring us all to rotund teddy lurrve! This was not my idea of romance.

“If you are of an age to buy fat teddies, then you shouldn’t be dating boys”, I believe were my exact words.

Doc retaliated by saying that Hallmark poems made him want to hurl a rotund teddy across the room and roar like a wildebeest. I added, bitterly, that flowers at work were just plain showy.

Next we tucked into the week’s fourth take-away and watched bizarre winter sports on TV.

This morning, I felt extremely distressed at discovering not one single card, or even a rotund teddy, by my bed-side, although I fear that this reaction might be unreasonable.*

*Particularly as Doc is not even here, but has gone to watch speed skating in Turin.

8 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger Lucky said...

I'm lucky, not only in name, but in the fact that my sweet thang's b-day is close to v-day.

So, to avoid grief over not bringing home the valentine's day bacon, I give her something ON v-day, but I say that it is an early birthday present....

This way, I don't have to buy a "rotund teddy," or "rich chocolates," or "red roses," or any other such silliness with an "r" adjective.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Every man should learn that all women like rotund teddies no matter how much they say they don't want them . . .

It's a lesson I learned the hard way :-)

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

(Don't listen to them, Teddy...Daddy wuvs you 'cause you're so snuggly!!)

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Victor Märcel said...

Hi dear swedish friend, I was snooping around to find something nice and interesting then I found you... well i didn´t had time to read everything yet but the part that I read was fun! my names victor marcel, i am brazilian, bye.......

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Marshmallow said...

Hmmm... I was so surprised to find out that my Dad had bought roses for my Mum... ALL BY HIMSELF

I didn't remind him ONCE

No chance of a rotund teddy though - and my Mum's birthday is only three days after Valentines Day, so we're all worried that he thinks his work is done.

ooooooo is he gonna be in trouble...

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger TheLondonGuy said...

I don't suppose this is the right place to bring up the fact that sometimes us blokes would be happy with at least an acknowledgment of V Day too.

My letterbox was empty this year and The Blonde doesn't even have the sensitivity to look sheepish.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Léonie said...

Ah the rotund teddy. International symbol of love. Somehow a skinny teddy just doesn't send the right message.

I feel exactly the same way about Valentine's day. I disparage it with the best of them for 364 days of the year, but somehow still spent that one day thinking that perhaps a tiny little something might have been nice.

Hypocrites, the lot of us.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I can't stand the rotund teddy. I have to agree with you. I did get chocolates this year (first acknowledged Valentine's Day in 3 years) and it was nice. Must admit.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home