Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Maybe It's Because I'm (Not) A Londoner


“Do you know what,” I told Aurora pensively the other day, “I think I’m becoming a real Londoner.”

Aurora spurted out a dainty little Martini shower in response. (Aurora is tiny and everything she does somehow seems fragrant and cute.)

“What are you talking about, Sauna girl?” she managed to get out between giggles.
“Well,” I said, slightly affronted, “I feel really at home in London now. I’m as one with the tube. I know that trendy organic-eating people live in Notting Hill. I know that it’s not supposed to be pronounces Le-cester Square. You know – I just feel at home.”
But Aurora wasn’t buying it.
“You’re still not a Londoner.”
“Why not?”
“Because you like London.”
“Well, I suppose I do.”
“No Londoners like London.”

And I think she has got a point there. Aurora herself is that elusive breed – that strange & exotic beast we glimpse briefly in the asphalt jungle: a born and bred Londoner.

“I think everything is grey and people are really unfriendly and houses are really expensive,” she said. “But you think you’ll ride on a Routemaster all day long…”
“…while London Calling is playing in the background…”, I supplied.
“…and a cockney chimney-sweeper will ask you to dance…”, Aurora finished.

So there you go.

Maybe it’s because I’m not a Londoner, but I love London town.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger FM said...

What's the best thing you like about London ?..the people, the aura , the edifices, the chateaus , the facades being craftly built...?

Nice to come across your blog

with regards
FM

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger miss goLondon said...

your post resonates with me; i hope i am on the yellow brick road to becoming a londoner....i like to say my favourite think about london is how easy it is to escape it....maybe that will be the open sesame at some stage.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Hey fm, thanks for stopping by! I like a lot of things about London, really. I like London for being London.
Miss Go London - we have to work on the right grumpy Londoner attitude. We'll get there.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Zen Wizard said...

No one's a prophet in their own hometown.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I'm a Londoner living in Sweden so its funny to read about a Swede in my home town!! I'm not missing grey, miserable, unfriendly London one bit....well maybe the shops and bars I'm missing and always finding something open and something to do on a Sunday...!! Helen

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home