Swedish Girl In London

London Life: Bright Lights, Big City. Now what's on TV?

Saturday, March 11, 2006

I'm Just Living For The Weekend

What is it about parties and the kitchen? I mean, have you ever gone to a party where everybody didn't congregate, sooner or later, around a table full of snacks debris in the kitchen?

Dancing awkwardly around the living room to the sounds of The Best80s Album... Ever! definitely has its own charm - don't get me wrong - but in the end, the pull of the refridgerator gets us all.

I think the only time I have been to a party and not wound up in the kitchen was when I couldn't actually find it. Pingu had taken me along to some impossibly big, impossibly cool converted warehouse in the bowels of London - all video installations and concrete floors, which frankly is a bit nineties, now isn't it?

But to each her own minimalism.

Yesterday's party was definitely more of the kitchen-congregating variety, and so much the better for it. I consumed:

One tub of guacamole
Five varieties of chips
Salty sticks - very 70s retro
Tiny chicken skewers

- all the while listening to an extremely slim and beautiful girl talking about how extremely fat and ugly she was.

"You're extremely slim and beautiful," I said, shoving the a fist of chips down my throat (I might be paraphrasing slightly).

Now it's time for a cooked breakfast. See you bloggers and blogettes later!

11 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Ha! I used to get called Pingu! (you don't want to know why. It's surprisingly boring)

Also I could do with cooked breakfast just now. It doesn't seem appropriate in the middle of the afternoon. Mmm sausages . . .

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger J said...

Tiny chicken skewers - my favorite! The only thing better than meat is meat on a stick!

However, I never really understood the draw of 80s music. For the most part, I consider it a dismal decade as far as the music scene goes. I would find an 80s themed party very sad and depressing.

Glad you had fun. And kudos for polishing off that tub of guacamole!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

The action is always in the kitchen...unless the food is placed on the dinning room table. Think I would have finally had enough of the girly complaining about being fat...

Connie

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger "the b" said...

I think you've just answered your own question. It's where the food is, of course! I was amazed actually, when I had a party in my house, and the age old kitchen gathering happened. Ok, so there were only 6 people in there, but you can understand the amazement when I tell you that the floor space is only the width of the cooker (side 1) the washing machine (side 2) the sink (side 3) and the door (side 4)...

Happened across your blog the other day and am enjoying it so thanks!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe said...

I would have shoved fists of chips down her throat... paraphrasing a bit too ;).

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Rocío said...

YES! that's it! it seems we all look for food in parties instead of dancing or having a drink!there's always this excuse you politely ask to the cook-normally-hostage so you jump into the kitchen without suspicion...: SHALL I HELP??

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Rigmor said...

Ah! This is my "bump into Swedish People in London"-week. At Trafalguar Square, the tube on online. Most of them has been blond and punks. However, I am not trying to generalise: I am Norwegian and constantly taken for WELSH. (I don't get it either).

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Aha, Rigmor! I spot a pattern here. People always think I'm Irish. Scandinavian + English must in some weird alchemy = Celtic.

Or maybe not so weird after all - weren't those Vikings causing havong along those Celtic coasts long ago?

By the way, once upon a time, I owned a pair of tartan Doc Martens and called myself a punk.

Ah, those were the days.

By the way, Steve - called Pingu? that CAN'T be a boring story!

Thanks, B, how sweet of you!

Chickybabe - I might have, but wanted them all for ME...

J - a voice of sanity in a world of madness when it comes to 80s tunes. Some time people will understand.


Rocio - you know what I'm talking about. Need help with that tortilla, pet?

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Connie.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Mmmm a nice proper English cooked breakfast! Very jealous! Helen

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Phu said...

party or no party, when visitng other peoples homes, head for the fridge.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Misha said...

Interesting story. When a big event happens many people like to travel in style with the best chaueffer services they can find. That is why they look at getting limousine London for the big day. Proms, weddings, and even just a party night out so they look like a big shot it is a big deal to roll up in a limo and have the driver open the door for you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home